We are now receiving bookings for New Years Eve , check out our Festive Season page.
Another great place to visit..Saffron Walden Museum looking into the rich past of historic Saffron Walden. After the Norman Conquest Saffron Walden was granted to the de Mandevilles, becoming the centre of their Essex and Suffolk estates. They built a castle ( the ruins of which remain today) on the chalk peninsula between the two streams of the Slade (King’s Ditch and Madgate Slade). The castle was built to dominate the area and its plan determined the subsequent street layout. The inner bailey was oval in plan and contained the domestic and defensive buildings of the de Mandevilles, of which only the flint rubble keep survives. The outer bailey was also ovoid in plan, fully enclosing the inner bailey and the original town. The church was built and two streets, Church Street and Castle Street, laid out within the outer bailey. In 1141 the de Mandevilles acquired the right to move the market which had been held at Newport to Saffron Walden. At that date a Benedictine priory, which became an Abbey in 1190, was built on the site of the later Audley End House
From our extensive knowledge of the area we can recommend places to visit,eat, go for an evening out both locally or further afield.
In and around Saffron Walden will provide even the most discerning food buffs plenty of choice for great food both fine dining and excellent home cooked fayre. It dos’nt stop there as many restaurants and pubs have a great selection of wines and beers to tempt you,including our very own micro-brewery in Saffron Walden